Wednesday, February 6, 2013

DRUGGED OUT FOREVER!!

I just finished a writing assignment I thought would be so difficult!!

Well it wasn’t. I read an article about bipolar and mood disorders and the diagnosis that takes place with young children. This text really sparked my interest because I fall into the audience who this author was targeting. I was diagnosed at a very young age with bi polar disorder. I don’t believe a 7 year old me really knew what this meant, so I assumed it was a scientific term for the mentally insane or crazy. Shortly after being diagnosed my Psychiatrist felt it necessary to place me on a medical regimen while my mother and teachers recorded my behavior for his analysis. I felt like a certifiable lab rat.

After short periods of time my "reviews" were coming back not all too positive so my doses were upped and I began being monitored more heavily. At this point the mixing of medication and stresses of being a 7 year old boy were weighing on me. Only after being heavily medicated did I feel the manic highs and depressive lows the doctors claim they were "fixing." Living with a diagnosis I knew nothing about made me feel ostracized and alone because I thought everyone else would think I was crazy. The medication affected my sleep patterns, mood swings, and even the way interacted socially with my peers and authority. 


After being stripped of my freedoms, completely withdrawn socially and having my bright and witty personality totally removed. I was at least normal enough to attend public school. I felt like a mute zombie. This critical period in my life where being a child was supposed to be fun and enjoyable became an up and down elevator of distress. I have no doubt that this marker in my childhood is still today affecting the way I interact and approach others.

Concerning the children of the future, I feel the best way to determine social inappropriateness should be done at an older age. I believe the fact that some children just aren’t as quiet and reserved as others should be considered before making any conclusions about their mental health. Each human is unique in nature and should be treated as such and most, if not all, social norms should be disregarded when diagnosing behavior in young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment