Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Gawdizgud-Gawdizgreat!



Reading through the passage titled "Among Believers" published in Joining the Conversation. I had a hard time not being judgmental internally, but as I finished reading and understood the message the writer was trying to convey it made me think of the roles our parents and guardians play in the religions we choose to follow. If a child is told very young about God he will grow to believe in him and what he knows of him. Much like the silly assholes who tell their kids Santa is real, giving him credit after spending their hard earned money during the biggest and most expensive Holiday of the year. What we as adults have to realize with our children is that their not stupid and when their cognition grows more questions will need to be answered. And in this moment is where I believe religion takes a turn for the worse. Being a parent has you explaining to your children your own morals and to stay on the "right" path or hell will be your reward. Which as a young, gay, black male scared me to death. Thinking I'd forever burn in hell for my thoughts, and behaviors. When dealing with children it is always best in my own belief to guide them and not direct them. People without or without religion are mostly taught very young and more than likely by a parental figure the way to deny or embrace specific religious beliefs. From my own experience religious practices at a young age causes stress and fright. Being afraid that no matter what I do or how much good, that my afterlife will forever be in flames. As a kid timeout seems like forever, a 5 year old could never truly imagine forever! In the passage he illustrates a very key point in his experience at vacation Bible school.


 He tells about how during his visit he was asked to color pictures of popular Biblical characters, and to make crosses out of Popsicle sticks. I was an intelligent child and these activities offended me and were completely arbitrary. I thought it to be very unimpressive for a church to have the kitty congregation color images of people they have no idea who they are as well as using images depicting a very Americanized white Jesus as the son of God. Which I believe to be a brainwashing technique to learn that your savior is white, but thats for another entry. He talks more about memorizing a hymn from the book of Psalms his teacher gave him while he was feeling doubtful. By the time he remembered the entire scripture he was ready to say it before prayer for Sunday diner, he said the words provided him warmth and comfort. Which i believe was the whole point of his story being told. Saying that no matter what you belive in you can always learn. He ended up being interrupted during for it being too lengthy; He still finished! In all, this story only reminds me of the religious battles I faced as a toddler all the way up into my late teens. Also reminding me of the way Christianity has influenced my life's decisions. I believe the words of the Bible aren't to be lived by word for letter, but to learn by and grow as mankind. When teaching children about religion throw away the cheap crayons and print outs of Mary and lambs. and work on conveying the messages the bible teaches in a language they can understand. And on one last note, everyone needs to stop mass distribution of images of Jesus being a white man with straight long hair, when that's probably the opposite of how he really looked. And if you believe it doesn't matter... then why did they change it in the first place?

1 comment:

  1. You make some interesting points. I agree with the false idolized images of Jesus. He was of Middle-Eastern Jewish decent, which most likely means he was darker complexioned. Regardless, somewhere along the line the images became more and more Aryan looking. While I was not raised in an overly religious household, my husband was and it is an interesting point of controversy between us; especially as we have children. I do respect my husband's conviction and faith, the result of parochial schools and regular church visits. Do I want that for my children? I don't know. I am amazed by those with a true sense of faith, but I am not sure I can endorse fully the hypocrisy I see either...

    ReplyDelete